The British Council is seeking to recruit qualified and experienced English language teacher-trainers for our English teaching and teacher-training activities in 2011. The British Council is committed to supporting the development of English teachers throughout Indonesia, and is working closely with the Ministry of National Education and the Ministry of Religious Affairs to build capacity in the English teaching sector.
The successful applicants will become British Council Teacher-Trainers, and will conduct training on behalf of the British Council in the province in which they live. This is not a full-time post. Teacher-Trainers will be expected to conduct training for up to three days per month, and will be paid a very competitive daily rate. Teacher-Trainers who are currently employed by schools, universities, or training institutions will therefore need the permission of their employer to spend up to three days per month conducting training for the British Council. Teacher-Trainers will also be offered the opportunity for annual training and professional development through the British Council.
The British Council therefore seeks applications from experienced English language teacher-trainers. Ideal candidates will have:
Aim of teacher-trainer role: To prepare and deliver training in the teaching of English language in order to develop the teaching skills of our trainees. To enhance the British Council's reputation as a foremost ELT training provider, in the areas of primary and / or secondary level education.
Duties and standards
1) To plan, prepare and deliver training courses, workshops and talks to English teachers and /or other ELT practitioners (eg. Teacher-trainers, ELT specialists, supervisors) in the state system and / or private sector.
* Training sessions are well-prepared and managed in accordance with the needs of the trainees. This can be demonstrated through trainee / stakeholder feedback and observation.
* Sessions delivered are well-researched and reflect current thinking in ELT and effective use is made of current materials and technology (if available) to achieve session aims. Materials are adapted and supplemented to trainees' needs.
* Through their professionalism and credibility, trainers and the materials they use enhance British Council's reputation as a foremost ELT training provider.This can be demonstrated through trainee / stakeholder feedback and observation.
* No complaints from trainees or stakeholders.
2) To monitor and give feedback to trainees / stakeholders online or in hard copy if required. To mark all written work and provide written feedback and reports if required.
* Reflective journals, homework tasks and portfolios are returned within a negotiated timeframe.
3) To prepare, develop and evaluate training materials for courses and workshops, adapting where necessary.
* Session material reflects current thinking re. ELT methodology and training needs of target audience.
* Copyright laws are fully observed (CSS).
4) High proficiency in English.
5) Proven track record in teacher training.
6) Subject knowledge:
* Shares subject knowledge and classroom application with others in training sessions, through individual coaching and positive interaction with group.
* Displays a high level of sensitivity, creativity and skill in providing accurate and appropriate information about concepts / skills / language with specific learning outcomes in mind.
7) Evaluation and assessment of learning:
* Assesses individual students' needs and uses this assessment to set realistic goals for the group.
* Selects, adapts and creates valid tests and other forms of informal assessment for learners and evaluates and interprets outcomes appropriately
* Gives accurate and useful feedback to learners on their performance.
* Encourages and develops learner self-assessment through a range of activities.
* Shares insights and knowledge with others.
8) Ability to use IT to write or adapt course materials (if required) and for training purposes.
Please send a CV, with a covering letter in English explaining why you are appropriate for this position to the following email address:
Closing date for applications:
* Candidates from Aceh: 25 September 2010
* Candidates from other provinces: 07 October 2010.
For further enquiries, please contact: Lenggo.firstname.lastname@example.org